I walked through the door from the garage after a typical day’s work at the hospital, took off my shoes, and set my keys on the desk in the den. Standing in the opposite doorway with the front door behind her stood my wife, a large box at her feet. She had a curious smile on her face that threw me off. It is a particular expression that I am not used to getting from her. She gestured at the box and asked me what it was.
I had no idea what it was. She and my daughter are the ones who get packages through the mail, not me. I acted nonchalant about it but was intrigued. When she left to pick up our daughter at school I double checked the label to make sure it was for me. The sender was a friend and fellow psychiatrist which dialed up the intrigue for me even further. We share common interests in writing and art (clues perhaps?).
I picked up the sizable box and took it to the dining room to begin the unboxing process. It was securely taped and took some doing to get it open. Inside was bubble wrap surrounding another box, also securely taped. The suspense was building as I broke taped edge after taped edge. Inside the inside box was more bubble wrap. Was it something made of glass? The wrapping materials were all over the table.
After what seemed like several minutes of careful work I found a 12x12 black square that turned out to be the back of a frame. I gingerly flipped it over and found an image of my friend’s Waffle House painting that I’d admired from afar on Instagram. My first thought was that he’d framed a print as a thoughtful gesture, but then the light glinted off it’s uneven surface and I realized it was the painting itself. No way!
I let out a loud bark-like laugh and then just took it in: the brush strokes, the lit interior details, the glowing effect of street lights at night. I took me back to days spent with Kevin McCarty, my friend and godson, in his studio apartment that was literally an art studio with paintings stacked against the walls and his easel in the middle of the room. I breathed in the smell of turpentine and walked over his paint-speckled floorboards.
The Waffle House holds special meaning for me. My daughter and I flew to Florida a few years back for a field hockey tournament and we arrived at the hotel some time after midnight. It was unseasonably cold; we were hungry and tired. Across the parking lot was a Waffle House. Inside was an elderly man at the cash register who peeked over his newspaper and pointed at a booth. A waiter came 30 minutes later.
It was an odd slice of life that she was not familiar with at her young age considering the late hour, the dingy booths, the greasy food, and the paucity of employees. Kevin liked visiting these kinds of places and befriending whoever might be there. He even convinced a local greasy-spoon owner to let him set up his easel and paint some patrons who volunteered to sit for it. So much caught up in so little a painting.
***


No comments:
Post a Comment